Tuesday, September 20, 2005

The Arcade Fire

The Arcade Fire

One of the best bands out there today.  No doubt.  I am not sure where they’re from, but their lyrics have a kind of sad tone, for instance in the song Neighborhood #2(Laika).  That song is pretty upbeat though, surprisingly.  I am not really sure where they’re from, I think they’re from Montreal.  If you want to check them out, go to http://www.arcadefire.net
Man, so my new chair totally ROCKS!

I am about to fall asleep while sitting here, but TAF is keeping me pretty occupied.  I might watch a movie in a minute.  That’s sure to put me to sleep.  Oh, I could just read my blog if I want to really sleep.  I think this blog truly shows how pathetic my life is.  I mean that affectionately.  I think I am quite possibly THE most boring person EVER.  E-V-E-R.

You know, I just switched from The Arcade Fire to one of the best albums of all time, Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys.  Every song on that CD is awesome, but it doesn’t get better than the song God Only Knows.  Brian Williams is a freakin’ genius, I guess that(excuse me) board to the head really did knock something loose.



In other news, the world lost a great man today.  The Nazi Hunter, Simon Wiesenthal passed away today in his sleep, in Vienna, Austria.  He dedicated his entire life to tracking down the killers of his people and what a man he was. I highly recommend that everyone either buy or rent his book The Sunflower.  He tells of his liberation from Mauthausen in Austria.  However, one day, a Nazi soldier is asking for Wiesenthal’s forgiveness for the unspeakable acts he committed against the Jewish people and you don’t find out until the end whether Wiesenthal forgives him or not.  He also asks other scholars who have been a witness to genocide such as The Dalai Lama and Primo Levi whether they would forgive that soldier or not.  The Sunflower represents the sunflowers that mark the dead Germans graves, a kind courtesy, considering the untold number of mass graves.  Simon was always someone I deeply respected for his vigilance and his extraordinary tale of survival, but really, that’s why I respect all Holocaust survivors.  Victims as well.  I hope to one day be what Simon was.  Not a Nazi hunter per se, but rather someone who will tell the stories of those who can’t tell them.  That’d be the ultimate career, a career in which I could teach others about that event known today as the Holocaust.
RIP 1909-2005.
I think I am going to go watch a movie now so I will end.  RIP Simon.

P.S.

I really miss Layne Staley and Alice in Chains’ music.  One of my favorite bands ever.  RIP Layne.  What a great band.  I could listen to them all day.  The album I am listening to right now very well could be my favorite album of all time.  So much raw emotion, dark brooding acoustic guitars, and Layne’s just slightly off key vocals.  But overall, it’s a message of sadness.  Layne is crying out to God, to himself, to everyone, anyone who will listen.  He wants to kick his habit more than anything in the world, but he just can’t, and ultimately he paid the price for drug addiction the same way John Belushi did.  A Speedball.RIP 1967-2002

RIP.
On their self titled album, also called Tripod because of the three legged dog on the cover, there is a song called Sludge Factory on it, but the recurring theme in the song is Layne doesn't want his picture printed "milk carton size" it is a metaphor for his drug abuse. If you're looking into a study of Layne Staley, this song is probably one of the best to listen to. This or Nutshell. What an artist. That picture was taken in 1996, he was OBVIOUSLY stoned during the performance, I have it on DVD. It was one of the last, if not the last, performance Alice in Chains ever gave. One of the greatest bands of all time. Ever. If Alice in Chains and Soundgarden toured, that would have been one of the most amazing shows of all time. Wow.
Currently Listening To: Alice in Chains – Jar of Flies – 06 – Don’t Follow

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home